Leaving the hospital and entering a new phase of care can be an overwhelming experience. It can bring a flurry of emotions—fear, confusion, frustration. This transition often involves adjusting to new surroundings, adapting to different routines, and navigating through a complex healthcare system, all of which can add to the stress of the situation.
At Zerbe’s, we think the transition from hospital care to CCRC communities should be calming and predictable instead of chaotic. We strive to provide a welcoming, seamless, and comforting environment for our residents and their support systems. When it is time for you to transition from the hospital to our CCRC, we want you to feel informed and prepared for this process.
What Is a CCRC?
A Continuing Care Retirement Community (CCRC) is a type of senior living community that provides a full spectrum of care options in one location. These communities often include independent living, assisted living, and skilled nursing care. The goal of a CCRC is to provide a space where seniors can age in place, meaning they can stay in the same community even as their health needs change over time. When a resident’s health condition changes, they don’t need to worry about finding a new care facility or adjusting to a new environment. Instead, they can transition to a different level of care within the same community. This continuity of care can greatly reduce the fear and confusion associated with moving into a new care setting.
Residents may start living independently in their own apartment or house or come into the community, requiring immediate access to more healthcare services. Residents who come into a CCRC from hospital care typically require more healthcare services. As their care needs increase, they can transition to assisted living or skilled nursing care within the same community. This allows residents to remain close to their friends, partners, and familiar surroundings, even as their care needs evolve.
Why Choose CCRC Communities?
CCRC communities are designed to accommodate the changing needs of older adults. From independent living to skilled nursing care, they provide various healthcare services in one location. CCRCs also offer a variety of amenities, such as dining services, fitness centers, social activities, and transportation, which contribute to an active and fulfilling lifestyle for their residents.
How Can You Make this Transition Easier for Yourself?
Choosing a CCRC after a hospital stay can be a natural progression. The care team at your CCRC can keep up with your current healthcare routines, making the transition easier. While the change in setting can be jarring for some, often, it’s exactly what you need to continue to succeed in your healing journey.
- Understand Your Care Options: After a hospital stay, it’s essential to understand the different care options available in CCRC communities. These can range from independent living to assisted living, skilled nursing, or even specialized dementia care. Knowing what each level of care provides can help you decide what’s best for your situation. Speaking with the CCRC can also help you decide where you want to go next.
- Slow and Thoughtful Transition: Rushing the transition from a hospital to a CCRC can lead to unnecessary stress. It’s better to take a slow, thoughtful approach. This process might involve having a family member visit the CCRC beforehand, familiarizing oneself with the amenities and care options offered, and gradually moving personal items into the new space once you have settled into your new home.
- Focus on Rehabilitation: If the hospital stay was due to a severe illness, injury, or surgery, rehabilitation might be necessary. Many CCRCs offer therapy in a rehabilitation center, which can provide the required support during recovery.
- Ensure Continuity of Care: One of the benefits of CCRC communities is the continuity of care offered. Following an acute hospitalization, residents can use the various levels of care within the CCRC, ensuring a seamless transition and preventing poor health outcomes.
- Communicate Clearly and Consistently: Clear and consistent communication with the CCRC staff and loved ones can help ease the transition. This communication includes expressing any concerns or preferences, understanding the treatment plan, and staying updated on progress.
- Maintain a Healthy Lifestyle: A successful outcome in a CCRC involves medical care and maintaining autonomy, independence, and a healthy lifestyle. Many CCRCs support this by offering fitness facilities, social activities, and healthy dining options.
Choosing Zerbe’s CCRC Community
Choosing a retirement community is a significant decision that involves many factors—quality of care, lifestyle, costs, and more. We are committed to providing our residents superior care, a vibrant lifestyle, and financial security at Zerbe’s CCRC communities in Pennsylvania. No matter where you are in your aging journey, Zerbe’s is here to help make the transition as comfortable as possible.
A Stress-Free Transition
We understand the importance of making this shift as smooth as possible at Zerbe’s. Our dedicated team works closely with each individual, their families, and healthcare providers to ensure a seamless move from the hospital to our community. We focus on creating a safe, caring, and comfortable environment that minimizes stress and maximizes comfort. Plus, we tailor your healthcare services to suit your individual needs better.
More Than Just Care
Zerbe’s life care communities offer more than just health care services. We believe in enriching the lives of our residents through a wide range of recreational, spiritual, and social activities. Whether engaging in daily activities within the community or simply enjoying the shared company of new friends, there’s always something to do at Zerbe’s.
Are You Ready to Move into Our CCRC Communities?
When transitioning from hospital care to CCRC care can seem overwhelming or daunting, Zerbe’s stands as a beacon of hope, helping seniors maintain their independence and live fulfilling lives. Trust Zerbe’s to provide the care, support, and community you need for this next stage of life. When you are ready to learn more, we are ready to talk! Reach out to us today to get started.
- The Best Ways To Transition Into A Continuing Care Retirement Community (CCRC) | FindContinuingCare
- 15 Facts To Consider When Selecting a Continuing Care Retirement Community – Retirement Daily on TheStreet: Finance and Retirement Advice, Analysis, and More
- What’s the Best Age to Move Into a CCRC? | U.S. News (usnews.com)